Who wants an official Red Ryder® Carbine-Action 200-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock and a “thing that tells time”? It’s Ralphie from A Christmas Story! Although you may be familiar with and possibly able to quote the entire 1983 classic film, you may not be as familiar with the newer musical adaption of the show coming to the Eccles Theater on December 3 – 8.
- The music and lyrics were written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. They also wrote the music and lyrics for the popular Broadway show, Dear Evan Hansen, which will be coming to Eccles Theater on March 4-14, and The Greatest Showman, the movie musical starring Hugh Jackman as P.T. Barnum.
- A Christmas Story premiered on Broadway on November 19, 2012, at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre and was nominated for three Tony Awards: Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score.
- Before podcasts were radio shows and A Christmas Story is based on the writings of radio humorist Jean Shepherd, who drew upon his own childhood memories in Indiana for stories shared on the radio in the evening. Some of his stories were later assembled into a book titled In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash which was used to write A Christmas Story.
- One of the most iconic items from the movie is The Old Man’s leg lamp which was a “major award” in a contest. The famous lamp gets its own full-blown musical number in true Broadway style.
- Ralphie’s father “The Old Man” is not a fan of their neighbors, the Bumpus’ hound dogs but at least the dogs in the show are rescue dogs!